the face behind @radicalfires


What's your name?
Taylor Ljubica.

What made you venture into the Instagram world with this account?
Honestly, since my phone storage was entirely full of poetry and pictures I adored, I had to store them somewhere else, that turned into Radicalfires.

What is your most pronounced characteristic?
Both my intense independence and always present longing for freedom. And, since quite some time now, everything seems to enter me very deeply. I have made lukewarm my enemy. I am either freezing or amidst the fucking flames. And I know that they say that it's both a blessing as it is a curse to feel everything so very deeply, but for me; I wouldn't want it any other way. I am that girl that not only longs for love, but for heartbreak too. I want to make every feeling familiar to me, and feel it at my very core. And in a way, that makes me dangerous. But it's the only way for me to feel human.

Where would you like to live?
Absolutely everywhere. I believe I am a nomad at heart. I feel at home everywhere I happen to lay my feet and dream of a world without boarders. One place is not enough for me, and as told by what used to be one my favorite quotes; "the only structure I will every need; are my bones," carrying me across all surfaces.

What is your dream occupation? 
I wish to occupy myself with photography, philosophy, writing, painting, reading; always.

What is your greatest indulgence?
Dreaming. I escape into dreams and memories but also taking photographs, I can't seem to get the urge out of my veins. Moments are fleeting and I can't help but want to capture them before they are lost, but they are either way, and yet they aren't.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
I wouldn't say many, but I definitely identify with Chris McCandless (McCandless was an American hiker.) I identify with his desires. His longing for freedom, like I've said before. And in many ways his abhorring of society, as it seems to me. I am aware that a lot of people find him foolish, not brave. But, I get him, however mad it may have been. At least he chased after what he longed for most, and to me, it seems only right; to risk everything for freedom. And it is important to realise that everyone inherently defines freedom differently, and for that everyone it may be attained differently, in the sense that some people feel freer than others. And in the case of McCandless, he left everything behind to search for it, in the hope he would finally be free. And in a way, now he might be...

Which living person do you most admire?
Closest to me would be my Art-History teacher. The way he makes his lectures come alive with philosophy, how he always gets carried away, especially when we talk about the surrealists. How he stops in mid-strike, looks at us and asks, "is this reality?" How he tells us that the best people are the ones who are irrational. He must be well over fifty but he has a child in in him which is impossible to ignore. And I admire him so much for it. Art-History is the only subject I want to keep notes of, quoting everything he says and writing it across my heart.

How would you describe your style?
A bit of 70s mixed with lace and boho jewelry.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
To be satisfied, but never fully. To always have a sense of longing, an urge. To always keep questioning, and to never have all the answers. To always be mesmerised by the moon. To never lose my wildness, my dreams. To feel consumed by my own fire. To live in a world where no one has to suffer for the mere convenience of another. To swim in the ocean at night. To burn everything and everyone I touch, and to create art with the ashes that are left behind.

Can you make a prediction about your life in exactly one year?
Absolutely not.

Any last words for you Instagram followers?
Breath. And let others too. Be kinder if you can be. Tell people how much you adore them. Run across the street and tell that girl how lovely you find her dress. Turn around and tell that boy that his eyes shine brighter than the sun. And, when the moonlight awakens something inside of you, put your work on hold, for the deadline that matters is the sunset; do not let the light escape, and write it down before the sun comes up. Examine yourself, observe your ways. Question it, and do not be afraid to change simply because others have yet to figure it out. Get lost in philosophy, poetry and paintings if you must. Do not take anything or granted and feel as much as you possibly can. At last, remember that time is not what it seems and that you are everything.
And,
breath.
Breath.
And do it well.

Much love, Radicalfires.

- as told to @youxthculture with some minor refinement



Comments