the face behind @vintage_smokes

What's your name?
Monk Serrell Freed.

What made you venture into the Instagram world with this account?
I've always been fascinated with counterculture, cult movies and true artists in every medium. I love the style and philosophies of all the members of the 27 club and I wanted to try to curate a gallery in a unique way that connected my favorite artists, and I guess they all enjoyed having a smoke.

What is your most pronounced characteristic?
My name. I can't say I've meet many Monks.

Where would you like to live?
I live in Los Angeles now, but I'm not sure if I have an ultimate place I'd like to live. I'd like to live in many places; San Francisco, London, Paris, New York. I want to travel.

What is your dream occupation?
Actor, Writer, Director. I'd settle for anything as long as I can confidently call myself an artist.

What is your greatest indulgence?
Films and weed, especially at the same time.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Jim Morrison. There's something about his theatricality and poetry. I love his music, but his poetry kills me. Also, I stumbled across a short film he made and I love how multifaceted and fearless he is. Not to mention we both went to the same college.

Which living person do you most admire?
Jack Nicholson. My favorite actor of all time, and it's amazing that he's still making movies! He's been nominated for an Oscar in every decade since the 1960s. If I've learned anything from his career it's that you can't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks.

How would you describe your style?
Classic Rock'n'Roll.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Smoking a joint on the beach after a swim in the ocean. Air, fire, water and earth. That's perfection.

+ One more thing to all my followers: I cannot stress the risks and negative effects of smoking tobacco. This page is primarily for the aesthetic viewing for everyone who admires great artists. I feel it is important to mention that several of the famous individuals I have displayed on this page have actually died from cancer. I hope everyone is fully aware of the impacts that smoking has.

- as told to @youxthculture



Comments