the face behind @famous90s

What's your name?
My name is Sarah.

What made you venture into the Instagram world with this account?
I was already on Instagram but I had a private account. Then I made a "baddie" account (lmao), because I just wanted to "earn" money from Instagram. At 100 followers, I changed the theme of the account and it became "tumblr" posts. I had that still (I think?) at 1500 followers, then I changed the name, and one of them was "fakecocaine" (cringe, I know, haha). I started posting more "tumblr grunge" posts, like Melanie Martinez, pastel colours and stuff like that. I don't remember the exact number I had when I changed it again, but I know it was late June/early July, when I changed it AGAIN to a "90s/Brad Pitt/Leonardo Dicaprio/Johnny Depp" account. I posted frequently, and I loved it. I wanted to expand to more than just three actors, so I changed the username to "famous90s" and posted celebrities from the 90s. At first, I was REALLY unfamiliar with most of them and didn't know any "iconic" 90s films, so I made it my mission that summer to binge watch every "iconic" or raved about 90s movie. I had just moved to a new city, because my dad got a job here, we needed a bigger house and I had really fake/horrible friends. I had 0 friends and I knew no one in the city, but I truly found comfort in those movies and they became some of my fondest memories. I feel like I learned a lot from just watching those movies, because some taught me how to be more confident or witty and quick on my feet lol. I also learned a lot about the actors behind those movies from, for example, @90smilk (read Courtney's interview here: youxthculture/the-face-behind-90smilkor @90scelebvibes. And, of course, many other accounts from this wonderful community.

What is your most pronounced characteristic?
My hair and the fact that I'm not afraid to talk about my interests. I also love to speak English, and people notice that because I use so many English words in one Norwegian sentence. I love the 90s and I'm not afraid to show it, for example, telling people about this account and recommending 80s/90s/00s movies/shows to my friends.

Where would you like to live?
NY.

What is your dream occupation?
A psychiatrist.

What is your greatest indulgence?
Tacos and Family Guy lol.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Walt Disney, River Phoenix and Marilyn Monroe to be honest.

Which living person do you most admire?
Malala.

How would you describe your style?
A bit basic, but I'm constantly trying to be original and give the 90s vibe.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I don't think perfect happiness exists, but when I try and think of the times I was truly happy, my mind immediately goes to my childhood in Iraq (I'm from Iraq but moved to Norway when I was 8 years old in 2011) and finding music that I truly related to.

Can you make a prediction about your life in exactly one year?
My prediction is; I would have changed my account A LOT, learned to love myself more, gotten better at English, have changed my style, but not completely, just a lot more 90s/early 2000s inspired.

What's something you truly cherish?
Classic movies, River Phoenix and family moments.

Any last words for your Instagram followers?
I am truly grateful to have you! Thank you so much for following me, commenting, dming and showing support every single day! You guys encourage me all the time, and I love you so much! I never thought I would get so many amazing followers, so thank you!

- as told to @youxthculture

photos courtesy of @famous90s


Comments