the face behind @motelkilos


What is your name?
My name is Ellie.

What made you venture into the Instagram world with this account?
Well, I have had this account for almost 4 years, I believe. I remember deciding that I just wanted a space to create a visual depiction of the things I liked, hoping I could inspire others too. At first it was solely based on Lana (Del Rey) and the love I wanted to share for her, but then it grew into the imagery it is now.

Where would you like to live?
Canada, that's always been a dream of mine. I mean that's where Abel (The Weeknd) comes from, I hear such beautiful things. It looks gorgeous there, I love city life. I would be proud to say "I live in Canada." I also adore London, I don't live too far and I'm always visiting. I feel at home there.

What is your dream occupation? 
In all honesty my dream occupation would be a model or an actress, I know it's not all glamour but I think it would feel amazing to be an icon and I would love to use fame for a good cause - for example spreading awareness or just setting a general example to people! I love creativity, acting and imagery so I think it would be super fun.

What is your greatest indulgence? 
Hmm... my greatest indulgence... I'm going to regret saying this, but probably attention, I mean I'm not an attention seeker but I love the feeling of being loved way more than I should, sometimes I feel it's unhealthy.

Which historical figure do you most identity with?
Well I guess the definition of a historical figure is quite diverse. In this case I would probably say Kurt Cobain or Amy (Winehouse)... I know people look up to them because it's 'trendy' but to me they are historical figures that I take lessons from. I really relate to Kurt and his inner sadness, like Lana said, "I just saw him on the TV and I thought he was the most beautiful person I had ever seen." I saw through him, I could just see the sadness in his eyes, the sadness we both shared and I felt instantly connected to him. I think he's truly a pure soul. As with Amy, I related to her dependence on love and alcohol, she just really knew how to word the feelings of regret and codependency - things I struggled with too.

Which living person do you most admire?
This is a hard one for me because I admire and collect inspiration from so many people. I admire my mother, of course. She is selfless and caring and I don't know how she does it. I feel like my answers are very cliche haha! But of course I really admire Abel and Lana, they have come so far with so much hard working and perseverance - especially Abel. He was once homeless and now he's the biggest star on the planet. Now that's inspiring to me.

How would you describe your style?
I would say my style if fairly bipolar! I mean... I don't think I have a fixed style. Sometimes I wanna look like a 'Lolita' inspired angel, sometimes I wanna look like an old Hollywood actress, sometimes I wanna dress like a supermodel and sometimes I wanna look like a Tumblr girl. I can't keep up with myself.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I think the key to perfect happiness is accepting yourself and finding inner peace - which I find super difficult. But I believe inner peace and happiness is where it all begins. It's like a chain reaction.

Can you make a prediction about your life in one year?
My life in one year? I'm hoping to finish education with amazing grades that I worked my ass off for :)

What's something you own that you truly cherish?
Something I own that I truly cherish would be my necklace my Nana gave me when I was born, you'll never see me without it. I've never taken it off. It's a guardian angel that protects and watches over me. It's super beautiful. Or, my vinyls, they make me so happy. I won't let anyone touch them. They're like my children. Something I internally cherish is solitude, I mean, I don't want to be lonely but I love being alone and having space to myself. I think that's a rare quality.

Any last words for your Instagram followers?
I love my Instagram followers! I appreciate every single one of them. When I made this account I had no idea it would get so big. The majority of them are super, super sweet and I truly adore them! And something I would tell them is spread kindness into the world (not that they already don't!) but that's my biggest advice to anyone - be kind.

- as told to @youxthculture

photos courtesy of @motelkilos



Comments